The History of Chestnut Vets
The origins of the practice today date back to 1906. Archibald Andrew, aged 22, a scot born at Accredale into a family connected with the veterinary profession on both maternal and paternal sides, moved to Ware to assist a Mr Goldring. From our records it appears that Archibald Andrew was the first vet in the area to be registered with the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (a legal requirement today to enable a vet to practise) by passing examinations at the Veterinary School in Edinburgh.
During WW1 he served in the field in France and Flanders in the Army Veterinary Corps providing medical attention to the horses.
After the war finished he returned to Ware and built up the practice. His son, Houston Andrew also qualified as a vet and joined his father in practice initially in Ware and then in 1938 started up the Hertford side of the practice. It was at this time that Mr A Chestnutt joined the practice in Ware and for many years it was known as Andrew, Chestnutt and Partners until this was changed to The Chestnut Veterinary Group after their retirement and the practice is subsequently now known as Chestnut Vets.
The veterinary work in the early part of the 20th Century would have centred on the horse because, at the time, horsepower was so important to transport and agriculture, particularly in the Hertford and Ware areas where a lot of horses were working pulling barges along the rivers to the maltings.
Mr Andrew and Mr Chestnutt developed strong reputations for their ability in treating horses and the practice developed into a 5-6 vet practice by the 1970s-80s dealing with all animals from small pets through cats and dogs to horses, farm animals and zoo animals. In 2003 due to the decline in local livestock numbers the practice became solely focussed on treating small domestic animals, mostly cats and dogs.